Monday, July 11, 2011

Movie Monday: Pregnancy, Unique Individuals, Racism, Minions, and a Teen Gone Demon

Happy Monday afternoon everybody! I hope you guys are doing what you can to keep yourself cool this summer. The KC metropolitan area is under a heat advisory so I am determined to stay indoors. Knowing that today is free Slurpee day at 7-Eleven is appealing to get out of the house, but I think I will pass on the icy goodness this year. Anyway, I have five movies to review for you this week. Please, enjoy the clips and reviews!!!


Juno



Juno (Ellen Page) is a 16 year old high school student who discovers that losing her virginity got her pregnant. After considering an abortion, she decides to look into adoption. After she finds a possible family, she reveals to her parents and boyfriend Paulie (Michael Cera) of her pregnancy and her intentions for the baby. As she moves forward with the pregnancy, she deals with scrutiny by her classmates and friends and develops a friendship with the adoptive parents, Vanessa (Jennifer Garner) and Mark Loring (Jason Bateman).

I have had several friends tell me I HAVE to see this movie. I liked this movie a lot more than I thought. I really loved the friendship that Juno and Mark had with each other, bonding over music and rock bands. Juno is one of those fearless, unique people... you have to have a friend like that to make life just that more interesting. I admired her decision to give up the baby for adoption and to immediately take action in finding a family. It's not usual to see that in a 16 year old. Oh, Juno made slushees cool, unlike Glee. Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Garden State



After a several year absence from his hometown, Andrew Largeman (Zach Braff) comes home to attend his mother's funeral. As he is visiting with family and friends, he feels out of place and developed sporadic headaches. He decides to visit a local doctor, where he meets a girl named Sam (Natalie Portman), who has a unique way of living that intrigues him. Andrew decides to stop using all of his medications and stay in town for a few more days to spend time with Sam and his buddy Mark (Peter Sarsgaard).

I had no idea that Zach Braff had written and directed this film, but he certainly made an amazing one! It made me appreciate myself more for looking at people as awesome, unique individuals. It shows that two people with a lot of personal problems can find a relationship with one another. I loved how Sam strives to be the most unique person she could be and did not care what anyone else thought about herself. She opened Andrews eyes to a whole world of possibilities in which he was never going to be the same again. Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5 stars


A Time to Kill



In the town of Canton, Mississippi, the community is torn apart over a series of crimes. A young black girl named Tonya (RaĆ©Ven Larrymore Kelly) is kidnapped and raped by two racist white men. The men are arrested and sit in jail until their preliminary hearing. As they are walked to the courtroom, Carl Hailey (Samuel L. Jackson), Tonya's father, emerges from a closet and shoots both men to death and injures a police officer. Carl asks his friend Jake Brigance (Matthew McConaughey) to defend him in court. Freddie Cobb (Keifer Sutherland) asks the KKK to help him and his family get the justice they deserve after his brother and friend were murdered. As the community prepares for the trial, those that are defending Carl and his family find themselves in danger.

This is one of those movies I wished was part of my junior high or high school curriculum. It is one of those movies that can lead to many discussions and easy material to use to write a term paper. The film stirred a lot of controversy in the town and made everyone question the racial implications surrounding both crimes. I thought the story was executed very well... there was just enough side story but not too much to bore or confuse anyone watching the film. You saw both sides of the crimes and understood why the the jury ended up with the final verdict. This is one of those films that should be seen at some point in a person's lifetime- preferably sooner than later. Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Despicable Me



Gru (Steve Carrell) is a criminal mastermind that wishes to steal the Moon. In order to accomplish this, he must get a weapon inside the home of his nemesis, Vector (Jason Segel). After several failed attempts he finds out that Vector has a sweetness for cookies, sold by three little orphan girls. Gru decides to adopt the girls in order to execute his evil plan, but has no idea what is in store for him otherwise.

I came across this movie one night and my son walked in at the very moment I found it. He and I spent the rest of the evening enjoying the film while having fits upon fits of laughter (more him than me- I have never seen him laugh so much and so hard at a movie, EVER). The plot is easy to follow for all ages and there are a few movie/music references that all adults will enjoy. I don't see how anyone would not love the Minions, with all their silly antics. They are one of the best things about this movie. I definitely recommend this for a family night film or for anyone who is still a kid at heart. Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5 stars

Jennifer's Body



Needy (Amanda Seyfried) and Jennifer (Megan Fox) have been best friends since they first played in the sandbox together as little girls. They go to the local bar one night to check out a band, and end up fleeing the building after it catches fire. Jennifer goes with the band and freaks Needy out until she shows up, covered in blood, at her house hours later. Jennifer shows up at school the next day looking like nothing happened, but has an insatiable appetite for human flesh. The entire town quickly realizes that the high school males are in danger and Needy knows why.

For a movie that has been dubbed the worst one out there... I would have to disagree. I've seen worse. I'll admit that there were many things that made me laugh in its ridiculousness, but as a whole, I was actually liking the movie. The characters in the film were extremely stereotypical when it came to high school standards. The acting was pretty decent and I thought Megan Fox did a lot better in this film than the Transformers movies. I also geeked out when there was a Rocky Horror Picture Show reference, when one of the students asked out Jennifer to go to a midnight showing. Many of you may think this film is stupid (or will if you ever decide to watch it) but I cant help but like it. Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment