Tuesday, June 14, 2011

New Music Tuesday: T.G.I.F., Sick Puppies, Movie Soundtrack, Mr. Mariah Carey and a DJ Earworm Mashup

Happy Flag Day Everybody!!! I know, it's not a major holiday, but I enjoy seeing a lot of United States flags on display. Add that it's a windy day here in Kansas City and the flags will definitely be "showing off."

Now, music video time! I've got a great selection of songs for you this week.... and one of them I have been excited for its debut (which arrived two days early). Get ready for some nostalgia, movie clips, and more!

Katy Perry "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)"



This time last year, I was enjoying Katy Perry's first single off her Teenage Dream album, "California Gurls." I loved that video and was ready to see what else she was going to come up with for her other singles. Last week, I noticed she had created an alter ego... Kathy Beth Terry, a geeky 13 year old who loves astronomy, sudoku, and collects beanie babies. I soon realized that her new music video was going to give me major nostalgia for my junior high days.

And it did.

So many cameos from celebs in the 80's and 90's, the neon colored attire, the geekiness.... oh so so good!!! I thought it was cool that Rebecca Black was the "cool" neighbor that had the party. I am in love with this video. As for the song... it's catchy, a lot of fun, and makes me want to dance!!!

Sick Puppies "Riptide"



This song is a lot more rock than their previous single "Maybe." It also has a great message.... to be yourself without others telling you that you can't or will judge you for it. I love how they helped to express this message through the video with all the random images. Sometimes you just need a song to remind you that being an individual is a good thing. :-)


Linkin Park "Iridescent"



Linkin Park must REALLY love doing songs for the Transformers films. I was surprised that this one was less rock and more ballad-like. I like that they made the video in black and white... it helps with the tone of the song. However, I'm just not as into this song as the other two used for the previous films.

Nick Cannon feat. Akon "Famous"



Why am I not at all surprised to see Nick Cannon do a music video like this??? LOL. I love all the celebrities/ public figures he portrayed in the video. Who knew he could pull of Gene Simmons??? The song is catchy and I love that he collaborated with Akon. Very entertaining video and it made me laugh many times!


DJ Earworm "Party on the Floor (Capital FM Summertime Ball Mashup)"



I became a fan of DJ Earworm at the end of last year. The way he blends songs from the Billboards charts to make one unified song is pretty damned brilliant. Then, there is mixing the videos together. He's very talented. This is a great blend of music he compiled for a radio station sponsored concert. All the artists in the song/video are booked for this concert (which I assume is on one of the coasts... haven't looked into where the station is located). Good job DJ Earworm and I always look forward to all your mashups (especially the end of year ones).

No comments:

Post a Comment