Thursday, June 2, 2011

2. A Song From Your Latest Musical Obsession

Rock of Ages- Medley from the 2009 Tony Awards



Thanks to all the time I invested playing Guitar Hero on the Wii, it paid off... by winning tickets to see Rock of Ages at the Music Hall in Kansas City last month. I knew I was going to enjoy it since I am a fan of 80's rock music, but I had no idea how much I would LOVE this show! It showcased everything I love about the late-80's: the clothes, the attitude, the rockstar lifestyle, the music, the nostalgia... oh I could go on and on!!!

For those unfamiliar with the musical, it takes place in 1987 in Los Angeles. Drew is an aspiring musician, formerly from Michigan, that works at a bar. Sherrie is a girl from Paola, Kansas who moves to LA in search of a new life. They meet at the bar where Drew is employed, which is in jeopardy of being demolished, due to a greedy mayor who wants to build a new district, with shops and condominiums. As everyone fights to keep the music/entertainment district alive, rockstar Stacee Jaxx comes into town and threatens the relationship between Drew and Sherrie.

Now, I won't spoil the rest of the show, because you HAVE to go see it. If you can't afford the tickets or the show won't be coming into your town, you will be in luck soon. Filming for the motion picture began a couple weeks ago and is expected to hit theaters sometime in 2012. Now, I have expressed dislike over some of the casting of this movie (Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx... can't we get someone younger and with more of an edge?) but I am hopeful that the charm and the nostalgia will hold up and be worth watching.

Oh, I have to give a shoutout to the narrator, aka Lonny. That is Kansas City native Patrick Lewallen (more specifically, from Overland Park, Kansas). He was part of the Broadway show and I got to see him on the traveling show as well. Brilliant actor, singer and comedian. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment