Wednesday, June 15, 2011

15. A Song From Your Favorite Composer

Andrew Lloyd Webber: The Phantom of the Opera "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Music of the Night"



Andrew Lloyd Webber, creator of wonderful musicals including Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, and Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat. Of course, my favorite of his works is The Phantom of the Opera. The way he expresses such passionate emotions like love, anger, and revenge- through the music- is perfection.

The song "The Phantom of the Opera" has the air of mystery, excitement, and a little bit of fear. You are curious about the man behind the mask. I have always loved hearing organs in musicals. There's something about that instrument that makes me feel the music inside my body and soul and I don't want the feeling to go away. In "Music of the Night," I feel the love and sensuality The Phantom is expressing to Christine. It made me yearn for a guy who would express the same emotions to me... someone who wanted me so badly that he would do anything to make that happen. Well, aside from offing people who got in his way... there is a fine line between passionate love and a jealous rage- or is there???

Andrew Lloyd Webber, you are a genius and an inspiration to those who have a passion for musical theater. I need to see one of your productions live someday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment