Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Song #28- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty

Nine Inch Nails "Closer"



Guilty... in a good way! ;-)

I really like that Trent Reznor expressed the hardcore sex so bluntly; it made the song unforgettable. He is a very smart writer and I love that he used a more extensive vocabulary in the lyrics (desecrate, penetrate). This is one of very few songs that, when I hear it, I get so engulfed in the song... the rest of the world just disappears (if a song does that to you, then it not only speaks to you, but it needs to be on your lists of favorites songs). Whenever I decide to listen to it (which it HAS to be the unedited version, no kid stuff here) I tend to hit the repeat button a couple times.

Now, the video. The first time I ever watched it (which I'm going to guess was when I was about 14 years old), I thought it was very different from anything I had ever seen. It disturbed me a little bit (and this was the television friendly version). But, over time, I grew to see how unique it was and that it is one of the best music videos out there (I tend to like stuff that's dark and disturbing... probably why I love horror movies so much). I finally saw the actual version of the video earlier this year (which is the one I posted). I don't think I will watch the edited video ever again. I'm just one of those people who like to see things as they should... no "clean" versions.

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree. Cleaning up music and or movies is something that just shouldn't happen. It corrupts the artist's vision. If its not kid friendly and you don't want children to view or hear it then don't play it. The job of censoring what a kid hears should primarily rest with their parents. Parents these days want to be lazy and not do that part of their job and instead blame others for corrupting their children. Instead take the time to talk to your kids and explains things in a way they can deal with to cover the things you can't censor for them and then just monitor what they hear and see in your home.
    Oh and great fucking song!!!

    ReplyDelete