Saturday, July 31, 2010

When the Sun Comes Up...

It's summer, which means long hours of sunshine. I actually was nicknamed Sunshine back in junior high, due to my optimistic, constantly cheery personality. As much as I enjoy the sun, especially compared to that never-ending winter we Kansas Citian's experienced, I do have a grievance.

My bedroom is on the top floor in the Northeast corner. As we all know, the sun rises from the East. So when the sun reaches up in the sky, my windows get a somewhat direct hit between 8am and 9:30 am. What does this heat do? It wakes me up.

Ok, yes. Some of you are looking at what I just wrote and would love to be able to sleep until that time. I get it. In my defense, I've been unemployed for too long and I got into this rut of sleeping in (sometimes until noon). It happens. I'm not trying to make you guys feel bad... really! Back to my story...

For some reason, my bedroom seems to be warmer than the rest of the house. So in the summer and the winter, I can get uncomfortable in here, especially when asleep. During both of those seasons, my ceiling fan runs 24/7. There is a week or two in the summer where I have to increase the speed of my fan (and risk flying dust bunnies when doing so).  Last summer, I had to add one of those little space fans for more cool air (but part of that was because the air conditioner was not working properly).

So for the past 3 weeks, even though I've been setting my alarm to get up in the morning, the sun has been gracefully letting me know what time it is. I can't say that it is a pleasant experience, with me ripping off whatever blanket or sheet is on top of me just so I can feel comfortable again.

I was really hoping to sleep in until about 10 this morning. Obviously, since I am up and blogging, I didn't get to do that.  I guess Mother Nature had other plans for me, lol

No comments:

Post a Comment